Keep Austin Dog Friendly

Through Responsible Dog Ownership.

Thursday, May 7, 2009

May 7th Training

With less than 10 days to our obedience match, I took the kids out to Central Market Westgate's Parking lot for some work. While it was hot and humid, Basil was always on the ball. Mouse was my concern as it appears that he had forgotten the "get" command (jump to get a treat from my right hand). The "get" command is the foundation for all of the exercises, and how he forgot it overnight is beyond me. After several days of slowly reteaching it, he's finally catching on, again. Now I need to work on his motivation, some fun games, the recall, and the right finish. Whew. I'm supposed to be writing the basics of teaching a retrieve now, but that will come in the next post. Training my dogs can be mentally draining.